IRENA Youth Video Contest 2020
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is pleased to announce the launch of a youth video contest focused on the theme ‘Renewable Energy in the Time of COVID-19: Youth Actions for Recovery’. The winner or winners of the youth video contest will get a chance to engage with and contribute to the IRENA Youth Forum that will be held on January 2021 at IRENA Headquarters and their videos will be also circulated on IRENA’s social media channels and featured in a newsroom article on the IRENA website.
Eligibility and Rules
- Open to contestants up to 30 years old from all over the world. Minors must have the permission of their parents or legal guardians to participate in the contest.
- Video entry must clearly and creatively address the above mentioned theme in 60 seconds or less.
- The video should be submitted by uploading it either on participant’s Twitter, Facebook or Instagram account by using the hashtag #IRENAYouthContest and tagging IRENA.
- Submissions are limited to one video per individual.
- The video should be in English, or if created in another language must include English subtitles.
- Being fully cognizant of cultural aspects around the world, it is not mandatory that the youth shows the face in the video.
- Young people, especially those from low-income countries and leaving in areas most impacted by digital divide, may lack access to advanced video-making technologies. Therefore, there is no specific requirement for the video to be of high quality or resolution.
- Submissions depicting violence, sexism, racism or containing content or images that could be considered abusive, inflammatory, denigrating or disrespectful to any groups, individuals or institutions will be disqualified. Submissions must adhere to the norms of civil discourse and be suitable for a global public audience.
- By entering the youth video contest, participants and for the minor participants also their parents or legal guardians acknowledge and guarantee that the submitted video is an original work created solely by the participant and that it does not infringe on copyrights, trademarks and the rights of privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
- By submitting a video to this contest, participants and for the minor participants also their parents or legal guardians agree to grant IRENA the right to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in any media at any time.
Final Video Selection Criteria
A selection committee made up of four representatives from youth constituencies of the United Nations Major Group for Children and Youth and three representatives from IRENA will evaluate the submissions based on the following criteria:
- Relevance and adherence to the theme: the video clearly and creatively represents the theme of “Renewable Energy in the Time of COVID-19” through positive youth perspectives.
- Originality and creativity: The content is unique and not derivative of other ideas and presents the theme in an original and compelling way.
- Potential viewer impact: The video conveys personal or aspirational thoughts that are inspiring to viewers, especially young people, and that can applicable in practice by other youth.
You can enter the contest by uploading a video on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, using the hashtag #IRENAYouthContest and tagging IRENA, and creatively addressing your ideas on ‘Renewable Energy in the Time of COVID-19: Youth Actions for Recovery’ in 60 seconds or less.
For more information, visit https://www.irena.org/events/2020/Jun/IRENA-Youth-Video-Contest.